Mr. Hunter’s practice focuses on community and condominium association law. Mr. Hunter represents hundreds of associations across North Carolina. He is the founder and leader of the firm’s Community Association Practice Group.
Mike’s background includes real estate and litigation with a concentration in the area of creditors’ rights, including debt collection, bankruptcy, foreclosure, lien enforcement, and collateral recovery.
From 1995 to 2006, Mike served as an assistant attorney for the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, primarily in the areas of civil process and judgment enforcement.
Mike Hunter has delivered dozens of presentations on many aspects of community association law in HOA manager and board training sessions, many in conjunction with the Community Associations Institute (CAI), public forums, and radio and TV talk shows.
Mike Hunter has written numerous manuscripts for various presentations and seminars on community association law.
In addition to his HOA-themed blog, Carolina Common Elements, Mike has written a column published in the Charlotte Observer and Raleigh News & Observer, answering reader questions on HOA-related topics, for over fifteen years. He is frequently quoted by reporters locally and nationally, including in HOAleader.com, a leading publication for community associations nationwide.
- “Credit Reporting,” Common Grounds, November/December 2015 (author)
- “How to Get Results in the Collection of Delinquent Debts in North Carolina” National Business Institute, Inc.,1996 (co-author)
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 1987
- B.S., Business Administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1984
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Community Associations Institute (CAI)
- The HOATeam